Old Man Winter is Coming to East Tennessee
Winter officially starts in a couple of weeks and CPR Choice wants to make sure you are prepared! As cold temperatures and the threat of snow or a wintery mix move into our area, it’s a great time to review your emergency preparedness plans and kit. Thankfully the winter’s in East Tennessee aren’t very harsh but it is still a good idea to be ready. CPR Choice has some suggestions to get you prepared:
- Inventory supplies needed in case the power goes out such as blankets, sleeping bags, winter coats, flash lights and lanterns.
- Store your flashlights and/or lanterns, including batteries and supplies, in an easy to get to place.
- Check your battery & other supplies now, before you need them.
- If you choose to use a portable or kerosene heater make sure they’re in good working order and follow safety precautions while they’re in use
- In really cold temperatures, leave tap water slightly dripping to avoid pipes freezing.
- Fill the bathtub or have bottled water on hand.
Food & Water:
- Make sure you have drinking water. Keep some bottled water on hand.
- Have a supply of canned & no-cook foods available. And don’t forget the non-electric can opener!
- Prescription drugs and other medicines
- First aid kit
- Cell phone, portable charger
- Battery powered radio
- Blankets, coat and other items to stay warm if stranded
- Booster cables and emergency flares
Be safe, be prepared & stay warm!