Are You Expecting? Do You Know CPR?
A new baby is a life changing event and a blessing all wrapped up in one! Planning, prioritizing, and preparing for your little bundle of joy can be overwhelming. One thing you can’t neglect is getting your family prepared with life-saving skills to care for your little one. Have you added infant/child CPR training to your list of “to dos”? If not, CPR Choice is here to help!
CPR Choice offers infant and pediatric basic first aid classes for all caretakers. Before your little one arrives makes sure all your caregivers are prepared in case of an emergency. Set aside a few hours to attend a class with CPR Choice to learn the proper techniques. Techniques differ depending on the age of the child, and doing them improperly can be harmful- learn the right technique today!
CPR – infants and children under a year old:
- Is the baby responsive? Check lips and fingertips, are they blue? Are they breathing? If not, have someone call 9-1-1!
- Place baby on her back- on a firm, flat surface.
- Give 30 chest compressions – using your index and ring fingers between your babies nipples at a tempo of 100 compressions a minute.
- Tilt baby’s head back, push back on forehead and lift chin with one finger.
- Give 2 short, gentle breaths watching for chest rise.
- Continue to repeat compressions and breaths.
Choking –infants and children under a year old:
- Turn infant facedown over your forearm or on your lap if you can’t manage the forearm position, hold their jaw with one hand to support the head, which should be lower than the chest. Using the heel of your free hand, deliver five quick slaps between the shoulder blades.
- If still can’t breathe, try chest thrusts: While holding your baby, turn face-up, keeping the head lower than the chest. Place two fingers in the middle of the chest and give five thrusts.
- Repeat with back blows and chest thrusts until the object is visible and you can remove it.
Choking – children over 1 year old:
- Stand behind the child with your arms around their waist.
- Make a fist with one hand, placing the thumb side against the child’s stomach above the navel, but below the rib cage.
- Grasp the fist with your other hand and quickly thrust inward and upward.
- If your child becomes unresponsive, instruct someone to call 9-1-1 and begin CPR immediately.
CPR Choice serves all local hospitals including Fort Sanders, Park West, Tennova, University of TN Medical Center, Blount Memorial, Methodist, LeConte, Wellmont, Mountain States Health Alliance and many more. We want to be your choice to help you and your family be prepared for any medical emergency.
Gather your group of caregivers, including Mom & Dad, Partner, Grandmother, Aunts, etc. and schedule a class with CPR Choice today! As an added incentive, when you schedule your “Family” training session your 2nd person (must be immediate family) will get a 50% discount. Do it for you, your peace of mind and your family!
Contact us at 865-548-1500 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your family life saving class today!
For Groups of 8 or more, please contact us via our On-Site/Group Training page.