American Heart Month
The color RED, LOVE and HEARTS fill the month of February! February is American Heart Month and the entire month is devoted to helping people learn how to be heart healthy and reduce their risk of heart disease and stroke. Cardiovascular disease or CVD, which includes heart disease, stroke, and high blood pressure, is the number 1 killer of women and men in the United States. CVD Is also the leading cause of disability, which prevent people from enjoying family activities and working.
In 2003 the American Heart Association and the National Heart, Lung and Blood institute took action against heart disease, where the perception was it affected more men than women. Heart disease is now the #1 killer of women and both organizations are working hard to continue to increase awareness for both men and women.
What are the risks for Heart Disease?
- High blood cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- Being inactive
- Diabetes and pre-diabetes
- Being overweight
- Family history of early heart disease
- Poor eating habits
- Age – men and women over the age of 55!
How do you lower your risk?
- Eat for your HEALTH! Eat a heart healthy diet consisting of fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and foods low in saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, sodium and avoid added sugars.
- Move! Physical activity is a key to lowering your risk and helping you maintain or lose extra weight.
- Partner with your doctor! Make sure they know your family history, your lifestyle and openly communicate about your health, especially if you have a family history of heart disease.
Getting Heart Healthy requires small changes in your daily habits that will make a huge impact on you, your family and your healthy. Take control of your destiny and remember CPR Choice when it comes to learning some life-saving skills. CPR Choice offers classes in First Aid, CPR and AED Training. We have a passion for training people in the event of a medical situation.
Check out our CPR training calendar and sign up for a class today in Knoxville, Maryville, or Tri-Cities! CPR Choice also offers CPR training on-site at your location. Learn CPR in the comfort of your office or home!